Posted by Lynette Hammond on 13th Jan 2016
Rock salt is used to help de-ice wintery roads and pathways during the cold months. It can be spread by individual home owners, business owners and tenants, or spread by gritters. It’s useful for helping us all get from point A to point B, but unfortunately it is dangerous for pets, such as dogs and cats.
When animals ingest rock salt they can end up with a high blood sodium concentration. Even the smallest amounts can lead to extreme thirst, lethargy and vomiting and fits and kidney damage can occur in severe cases. Sadly, pets can be affected by rock salt even if they don’t ingest it. Walking on gritted paths and roads can cause irritations to their paws and skin, so it is something that all pet owners need to be aware of so they can help prevent rock salt poisoning.
What Can You Do?
Symptoms of Rock Salt Poisoning
The symptoms are similar to antifreeze poisoning, another problem that is commonly seen at this time of year, they include:
Your pet will need to see a vet if you notice any of these symptoms or if you suspect your pet has ingested even the smallest amount. The vet will need to perform a blood test to determine if there is rock salt poisoning and then rehydrate your pet and work to stabilise the sodium levels in the blood. Never wait to see if your pets improve in suspected poisoning cases; it is important that they receive treatment as soon as possible.
Discover how you can create a safe outdoor environment for your pets.
Antifreeze presents deadly risks to pets and just the smallest amount can cause kidneys to fail and lead to the untimely demise of our feline friends. Accidental poisonings happen, especially at this time of year when the temperatures drop. Spills, leaks and failure to store the antifreeze properly all lead to a large amount of pet deaths in the [...]
All prices are in GBP.
Copyright 2017 ProtectaPet | Company Reg: 09051826 | VAT Reg: 190682685