Get a Quote
Your Basket

Have you forgotten?

Fast Delivery on DIY Products UK & EU
Nationwide Installation Service GB
Klarna Available at Checkout
0800 999 4008

Leave Out Lilies This Valentine’s Day

https://protectapet.comInternational Cat Care are reminding cat owners to leave out the lilies this Valentine’s Day. Flowers are often given at Valentine’s, they are beautiful and are a wonderful, romantic gift to give. Unfortunately, each year many cats are poisoned by these beautiful flowers, simply because cat owners are unaware of the risks.

Lilies are highly toxic to cats, so much so that cats can die after ingesting the flower. All parts of the lily contain a toxin that kills cats, from the flower to the pollen, stem and leaf. Cats will get ill if they chew or eat any part of the lily but also if they drink the water in the vase containing the flower. When the toxin is ingested, the kidneys are damaged, which can result in kidney failure and even death if medical treatment isn’t received in time.

Signs of Lily Poisoning

Has your cat been poisoned? Here are the main symptoms to look out for:

  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Lack of appetite
  • Depression
  • Lethargy

Take your cat to the vet if you suspect poisoning. The vet will examine your cat and may discover the kidney is enlarged and/or painful to touch.

Check your bouquets for lilies and give them to a cat less friend if you find any. Clean out the vase, remove any fallen pollen from the other flowers and refill the water. Help save cats from lily poisoning by informing your friends and family about the risk. Remember, lilies are beautiful, but they don’t belong in homes where cats live.