Pet poisoning is a nightmare for any owner and being prepared for an emergency such as this can help you to stay calm and collected in order to get your pet the help they most urgently need. Poisonous substances are found both inside and outside the home and many pets are accidently poisoned due to their own curiosity.
In 2014, 43% of pets were poisoned by medicines, 12% by pesticides, 11% by household products, 10% by toxic foods and 1% by cosmetics and toiletries. These statistics, released by the VPIS annual report, show how easy it is for pets to be harmed by everyday products that are found in all of our homes and gardens. Here are just a few that you need to be aware of:
1.Paracetamol and ibuprofen
3.Spot on flea treatments for dogs are poisonous to cats if they contain Permethrin
4.Snail and slug pellets and baits that contain Metaldehyde
5.Paints, varnishes and other decorating materials that contain petroleum distillates that are poisonous to cats
8.Grapes, raisins, sultanas and currants
9.Rock salt and anti-freeze
Here are a few simple tips to help reduce poisoning risks in pets.
- Check our list of poisonous plants to cats and make sure your plants are safe.
- Remove any overhanging plants that are dangerous – you should to speak to your neighbour before you begin hacking at their plants.
- Move all houseplants out of reach and pick up any leaves or petals that have dropped off.
- Keep all pesticides and other hazardous products locked up or secured in areas that your pets are unable to access.
- Change your pet’s water regularly and wash out the bowl to avoid contamination.
- Don’t let your pets roam in the neighbourhood during cold weather (to avoid anti-freeze poisoning) and keep an eye on the local news for any cases of possible intentional cat poisoning cases.
- Keep all medicines in one secure place in the home.
- Use our cat containment system to stop your cat from gaining access to out of bounds areas without restricting their access to the outdoors.
- Keep your dog on a lead during walks.
- Ensure all bins inside and outside the home have lids that your pets cannot open.
It’s essential to get your pet to the vets if you suspect they have been poisoned. Watching and waiting can prove to be fatal, so contact your vet, stay calm and follow their advice.