Antifreeze presents deadly risks to pets and just the smallest amount can cause kidneys to fail and lead to the untimely demise of our feline friends. Accidental poisonings happen, especially at this time of year when the temperatures drop. Spills, leaks and failure to store the antifreeze properly all lead to a large amount of pet deaths in the UK. There have also been several cases of pet poisoning with antifreeze in the media, something that is of concern to us all.
You can help keep your pets safe from accidental antifreeze poisoning using the following tips:
- Check your car for leaking water coolant and fix any leaks as soon as possible.
- Clean up any spills and leaks as soon as they happen, never risk leave it for later. Even the tiniest spills can tempt a pet so clean it up immediately.
- Store your antifreeze responsibly. Make sure it is clearly labels and in a sealed container that cannot be accessed by any pets or other animals in the area.
- Educate neighbours of the dangers and inform them if you notice coolant leaking from their vehicles.
- Dispose of antifreeze and coolants responsibly. Never tip it away, contact your local council for advice.
- Clean up spillages of antifreeze and coolant even if you don’t own any pets. Pets are drawn to licking and drinking these fluids as they smell tempting and taste sweet.
- Keep your pets inside and away from any leaks and spills until they have been cleaned up.
Suspected Antifreeze Poisoning in Cats
Cats and all other pets need to see a vet as soon as you suspect they may have antifreeze poisoning. The signs of poisoning can be seen around half an hour after being exposes but kidney failure can take a few days before it’s noticed. The symptoms to watch out for include:
- Laboured breathing
- Sleepy and lethargic
- Uncoordinated movements
Don’t ignore the symptoms, the sooner you get your cat to the vets the higher the chances of survival.